Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Strength

A few years ago I broke my collar bone in a mountain biking accident, after flying through the air a ways, and landing very hard on the ground. The good news was that I broke the bikes fall. After going to the hospital I found out that I would have to wear a sling, which would immobilize my arm for about three months. After that three month period I was able to get my sling off, which was a great relief to me. To my surprise, after getting to take the sling off, and move my arm for the first time in three months, I found that I could not move my arm at all. I had lost almost all of my ability to move my arm. It was a very frightening experience. I was told that this was normal, and that I would have to go to Physical Therapy to learn ways to get my arm to move again. The Physical therapist told me that I would need to do movement exercises every day and that I would gradually get full motion of my arm back. It took a few days but gradually, after using my arm more and more, I was able to get more control and movement back in my arm.

Looking back at this experience, I am able to clearly see, how the same affect can work spiritually. The choices we make in this life, and the consequences that follow, whatever they may be, have the ability to either immobilize or strengthen our spirit. When we make choices that either remove us from the spirit, or bring us closer to the spirit, we are immobilizing or strengthening, our spirit and our spiritual connection to our heavenly father. While in the sling I didn't realize the affect that having it immobilized was having on my ability to move my arm. Similarly, we may not be able to see the affect of having the spirit out of our lives. It can be a very sad and frightening path when we really realize the consequences of our actions.

The good news is, as there always is from our Heavenly Father, we can gain back our strength, and once again strengthen our spirit and likewise our spiritual connection to our Lord, and Savior. Our consequences, like mine, might require Physical Therapy, or in a spiritual sense, might require counsel and support from our bishop. It is not a easy path to recovery lots of time, Satan would like us to believe that we can never regain our strength again, but this is a lie. With proper exercise and continual effort, we can regain our spiritual health and well being.

Another important quality to strength is the ability to improve and grow stronger. Like the ability to strengthen our muscles, and exercise our bodies, we too can strengthen and exercise our spirits. For those that know what it is like to get back into an exercise routine, you can understand what it is like to get your spirit back into a healthy state. Our testimony and connection to the spirit is like weight training or conditioning, when we first start getting back into training, it can be hard to feel a connection, and we can feel discouraged. Little steps in the beginning can lead to big gains though. As we strengthen out spirit through reading the scriptures, praying to our Heavenly Father, listening and following the teachings of the prophets and the spirit, and many other conditioning exercises, then we will be able to recognize the Saviors love and the Spirits quiet promptings easier, and burdens will seem lighter. To become closer to our Father in Heaven, who is one of our many trainers while on this earth, we will be able to come closer to Him and we will be much stronger spiritually.

Another important aspect of Strength is, the requisite of action. Without an action, running, or lifting weights, muscles cannot grow; we cannot just think about exercising, we must actually exercise. Same with conditioning our spirit, as, Nephi says we must, “go and do." We must do our scripture reading, and we must follow the promptings of the spirit, and we must fulfill our callings and honor our priesthood.

In a great talk by President Henry B. Eyring called "O Ye That Embark," he says,” for (Heavenly Father) to give you that increased power you must go in service and faith to your outer limits." "It is like building muscle strength. You must break down your muscles to build them up. You push muscles to the point of exhaustion. Then they repair themselves, and they develop greater strength. Increased spiritual strength is a gift from God which He can give when we push in His service to our limits. Through the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, our natures can be changed. Then our power to carry burdens can be increased more than enough to compensate for the increased service we will be asked to give."

With increased strength, another benefit is the ability to withstand the extra weight when it comes, though adversity and trials. If we have weak spiritual arms, we are more likely to fall. Gaining strength is time consuming, hard and at points may feels like your spiritual arms are about to fall off, but the lord promises to be there as a trainer to lift us up when we need it. In D&C 84:88 is says, "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up."

It is important for everyone to exercise faith and exercise spirit, but especially as a missionary, or someone preparing to go on a mission. The Lord needs Strong missionaries that can perform the Lords needs, not Weak missionaries that set the great work back. Likewise He needs strong member missionaries, that when prompted to share the gospel, are unwilling to lift their own weight. Strive every day to excises the Spirit. It will bless you with greater happiness, a stronger testimony, and a deeper understanding for the Lover the Savior has for you and all his children. I know this to be true in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment